Admission Procedure for Higher Education-MBA Degree International Students
MBA Degree programs are offered by Universities. Entry into higher education- MBA Degree courses in Canada is highly competitive, and a high standard of English or French language is required for MBA. MBA offers students with pragmatic and theoretical knowledge of how people and processes work within the business world and in the wider community. The MBA offers worldwide networking opportunities, expanded personal skills and career enhancement.
Entry into MBA Degree Program of Studies in Canada, most important prerequisite is English or French language proficiency. At all Canadian universities, English or French is the language of instruction. An applicant has to provide evidence of proficiency in the English language.Standardized test:
The Standardized admission tests for MBA include Graduate Management Admission Tests (GMAT):
GMAT is for all the international students who want to pursue an MBA course in Canadian Universities. They need to pass through the test to get admitted to these universities to pursue MBA. Almost all universities require GMAT score and the minimum required ranges from 500 in some universities to 66 in the top universities.
- IELTS: IELTS or International English Language Test. Most universities require international students to take this test.
- TOEFL: TOEFL or Test of English as a Foreign Language.
For International students: Following are the requirements for international students to pursue MBA program in Canadian universities.
- An overall score of at least 6.0 in the international English language testing system (IELTS).
- A score of at least 550 to 600 (paper-based test) and 213-250 (Computer-based test) in the test of English as a foreign language (TOEFL).
Each Education provider will have different entrance requirements such as prior knowledge in a particular subject, statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, official academic transcripts, work history details.
- Statement of Purpose: The Statement of Purpose is a personal essay that should illustrate your academic background and experiences. It should describe your long term career goals, your personal interests and why you are applying to this program.
- Letter of Recommendation: Recommendations should come from individuals who can speak to the quality of your academic and/or professional background; who knows you well professionally; who will be able to attest to the depth and breadth of your experience and suitability for the MBA program. Two letters of recommendations are generally recommended.
- Academic Records & Transcripts: Most MBA Universities needs past academic records and transcripts. It is at times considered as a deciding factor in admission to a MBA Program in Canada.
- Resume: A detailed Resume is important for admission to a MBA program in Canada. It should depict all information of professional work experience, description of duties and responsibilities, formal education and training, and list of voluntary and community roles and activities.
Graduate degrees of three years are accepted by most Canadian universities. In some cases, depending on the course and university, you may require a bachelor’s degree that is similar to a Canadian Bachelor (Honors) Degree i.e. a four year graduation course instead of a three year course. Also, a minimum GPA of 3.0- 3.5 is required for admission to the MBA program.
The duration of MBA degree is generally one to two years full time study or part time equivalent.
Starting dates vary widely depending upon the institution. The program runs from early September until the end of April or early May, but can vary by course and institution
The MBA introduces students to the diverse business disciplines and prepares them for general management roles. Business schools in Canada offer following subject areas for MBA:
- Business Policy and Strategy
- Global Business
- Human Resources Management
- Organizational Behaviour
The admission process involves following steps:
- Application Forms
- Requesting Application Forms via email: You can request application forms from the universities website. Most universities have a form on their website which can be completed online to request application material.
- Downloading from the university website: Many universities have a downloadable and ready to print versions of their application forms on the internet. These can be used for applying just as regular forms.
In the form, fill the following sections and submit:
- Personal Details
- Academic History
- Supplement Information
- Course chosen
- Supporting Documents
Submit Supporting documents such as transcripts from all high school coursework, Letters of Recommendation, Work History, TOEFL/IELTS and GMAT scores, Reference/Personal Statement, Resume and Research Proposal.
- Acceptance Letter
If the application is successful, the applicant will receive “Acceptance Letter”. On receiving this, you need to pay a portion of the fees within a stipulated time period, to confirm your admission. During enrollment, you must carry copies of the acceptance letter, study/work permit and any other details that are mandatory for admission. The payment of fees varies according to the university you have chosen.
The tuition fee for MBA program ranges from CDN $ 10,000 per year to $ 25,000 per year. In some schools, it goes up to CDN $ 35,000 for the entire program.
Every Provincial University has their own way to apply for financial assistance. Contact the prospective University by phone for more information or go the Universities website and locate financial aid and/or loan information sections.
Some schools may offer scholarships based on academic merit specifically for International students. A part-tuition fee waiver by the institute is the most commonly awarded aid for an MBA.