TOEFL- Test of English as a Foreign Language
The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
iBT test, administered via the Internet, assesses the applicant’s ability to use and understand English language at the university level. Also, TOEFL evaluates how well you blend your listening, reading, speaking and writing skills to execute an academic task. The TOEFL scores are used to evaluate English Language Proficiency of the applicant’s who wants to pursue their education in Canada. Students planning to study at a higher education institution in Canada need to take the TOEFL test.
The TOEFL iBT test is a four and a half hour test conducted in English and administered via the Internet. There are four sections- listening, reading, speaking and writing.
- Section 1: Reading- The reading section has 3 or 4 passages and 36-56 questions in total. The time limit for this section is 60-80 minutes. This section assesses your ability to read and understand the passages in English.
- Section 2: Listening- This section requires you to listen to classroom discussions, lectures and then answer questions based on them. It has 34-51 questions and the duration is 60-90 minutes.
- Section 3: Speaking- This section requires you to state your views, communicate your thoughts on a particular topic clearly and effectively. There are 6 tasks assigned in this section and 20 minutes are given to complete those tasks.
- Section 4: Writing- You need to write an essay based on reading and listening section tasks. This section tests your ability to plan, write and convey relevant information in an essay format. There are two tasks and 50 minutes are given to finish those tasks.
You can register for the TOEFL test in Canada only through Educational Testing Service in the United States. The registration can be done online, by phone or by mail.Online Mode
- Step 1: Register at www.ets.org/toefl
- Step 2: Enter all the details as asked on the registration form.
- Step 3: Pay the fees. Pay with a credit/debit card: American Express, Discover, JCB, MasterCard or VISA.
Call: 1-800-468-6335 or 1-443-751-4862 to register for TOEFL test in Canada. Pay with credit/debit card: American Express, Discover, JCB, MasterCard or VISA; via a PayPal account; or use an electronic check (e-check) if you have a bank account in the United States or its territories.Mail/ Post Method
Download and fill out a Registration form for the TOEFL test. Enter all your details and choose a payment method listed on the form. Send the form with your payment to your Registration Center.
The TOEFL test registration fee in Canada is $240.
Scoring and Results
The applicant will get four scales sections scores and a total score. Reading Section (Score of: 0–30), Listening Section (Score of: 0–30), Speaking Section (Score of: 0–30), Writing Section (Score of: 0–30) and a Total Score (0–120). In addition to the scores, the applicant will also receive an official score record that includes your performance feedback at all the levels/tasks.